These tacos hit all the marks for deliciousness and ease of preparation. If you’re not into mushrooms, you can use the same ingredients and technique to make steak tacos! Buy sirloin steak and cut it into ¼” dice; cook in a bit of oil before proceeding with the rest of the recipe in the same manner.
Find an assortment of mushrooms, we used King Eryngii, Oyster, Shiitake and Café mushrooms. Cooking them separately ensures they get nicely browned and crispy when you add the rest of the vegetables, as well as giving them a lot of flavour. If you want to make these mushroom tacos vegan, top them with our Farm Boy Vegan Feta cheese.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms to dry pan and cook until all the liquid evaporates and they start to brown, 7-10 minutes.
- Add 2 Tbsp olive oil and taco seasoning and continue to cook until mushrooms are a bit crispy, 3-4 minutes longer.
- In a second large frying pan, heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil and cook onion and Jalapeños until translucent, 3-5 minutes
- Add tomatoes and cook until they break down and become saucy, 3-4 minutes.
- Add browned mushrooms to tomato mixture and stir to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and add cilantro.
- Warm up tortillas and mound mushrooms on them.
- Top with feta cheese and serve with salsa and lime wedges.
- 750 g assorted wild mushrooms torn or sliced
- 2 Tbsp Farm Boy™ Extra Virgin Olive Oil (1 L) divided
- 1 Tbsp Farm Boy™ Taco Seasoning (65 g)
- 1 cup Spanish onion diced
- 2-4 Tbsp Jalapeño chili minced
- 2 cups Roma tomato diced
- Salt to taste
- 3 Tbsp cilantro chopped
- 12 Farm Boy™ Yellow Corn Tortillas (450 g)
- 1/2 cup Farm Boy™ Cow and Goat Feta Cheese (200 g) crumbled
- Farm Boy™ Fire Roasted Chipotle Salsa (300 ml)
- Lime wedges for serving