If you’re looking for an impressive appetizer, look no further than this Parmesan Eggplant with Sugo di Pomodoro!
Sliced eggplant, breaded in our seasoned Italian breadcrumbs, then baked, makes for an easy and lighter version of its fried counterpart. Serve a stack of these crispy slices on a pool of our rich Sugo di Pomodoro, or use them as layers on an eggplant ”lasagna”. If you prefer, you could spread the sugo over the eggplant, then top with mozzarella for a tasty Eggplant Parmigiana.
- Place eggplant slices in a colander set over a plate and sprinkle all over with salt. Let rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare dredge items: place flour and Parmesan cheese in one shallow bowl, breadcrumbs in another, and whisk eggs in a third bowl, then season with salt and pepper.
- When eggplant is ready, dip slices first in flour, then in egg and then in breadcrumbs, pressing down so breadcrumbs adhere well.
- Liberally grease two baking sheets with olive oil and place eggplant on sheets. Drizzle tops with olive oil.
- Bake at 400°F for 30-35 minutes, turning halfway, until golden brown on both sides.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, combine Sugo di Pomodoro and water. Bring to a simmer.
- Serve warm eggplant slices on a pool of tomato sauce, garnish with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese and basil leaves.
- 2 medium eggplants sliced into 1/4" rounds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese grated, plus 4 Tbsp for garnish
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Farm Boy™ Italian Style Breadcrumbs (425 g)
- 3 large eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Tbsp Farm Boy™ Extra Virgin Olive Oil (1 L)
- 1 cup Farm Boy™ Sugo Di Pomodoro Tomato Sauce (680 ml)
- 1/2 cup water
- Basil leaves for garnish