If you are wondering what to make with asparagus, we have a great recipe for you!
This soup is smooth, creamy and full of flavour, and it is elegant enough to be served at a fancy dinner, yet it is really easy to make.
If you prefer to make this vegetarian, swap out the chicken stock for vegetable stock, and if you prefer to make it vegan, swap out the butter for oil and cream for coconut milk (or omit them altogether).
You can use an immersion blender to blend the soup, just note that if going this route, your soup may not be completely smooth, but it will still be delicious!
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel 4 asparagus lengthwise into thin strips.
- Place in a bowl of ice-cold water and reserve for garnish. Chop the remaining asparagus.
- In large pot, heat butter and olive oil and cook onion over medium heat until softened, 4-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, then stir in chopped asparagus, chicken broth and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer over low heat until asparagus is soft and tender, about 12 minutes.
- Add spinach, parsley and cream and stir until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Using immersion blender or regular blender, process soup until smooth, simmer for another 5 minutes to thicken up a little bit.
- Adjust seasoning and serve, garnished with asparagus strips, a drizzle of cream, cracked black pepper and a small mound of microgreens.
- 2 bunches (900 g) asparagus trimmed and divided
- 1 Tbsp Farm Boy™ Extra Virgin Olive Oil (1 L)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium Spanish Onion diced (1 generous cup)
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups Farm Boy™ Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth (900 ml)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup whipping cream + 2 Tbsp for garnish
- Farm Boy™ Black Peppercorn Grinder (90 g) for garnish
- Winter mix microgreens for garnish