North America’s fastest growing food retailer now has 23 locations and over 3,000 employees across Ontario
Ottawa, ON (January 18, 2017) – On Saturday, January 28th, 2017, Ontario’s beloved fresh food destination, Farm Boy, will host a 35th anniversary celebration in Cornwall Ontario, where it all began.
Farm Boy has come a long way since Jean-Louis and Colette Bellemare opened the doors to their first Farm Boy store in 1981 – a small 300 square foot fresh produce store on Cumberland Street in Cornwall. The store quickly earned a reputation for friendly service and the best quality fresh produce that stayed fresher longer.
Today, Farm Boy has grown to 23 stores across Ontario, employing more than 3,000 people. Loyal customers from across the province still love the Farm Boy™ signature farm-fresh produce, locally sourced foods, popular store brands and now enjoy some of the newer offerings found in store including wholesome fresh prepared meals, made from scratch in the Farm Boy Kitchen.
“Staying true to Farm Boy’s core values of offering quality and tasty fresh foods and friendly customer service has been a winning recipe for 35 years,” said Jeff York, Farm Boy co-CEO. “We are grateful for our loyal customers’ continued support and are dedicated to remaining attentive to their needs and preferences for many more years to come.”
Farm Boy’s commitment to offering local foods has also translated into tremendous success for a number of local, Ontario-based growers and producers like Smyth’s Orchard, Lanthier Bakery, Brandt Meats, St. Albert Cheese and others whose signature products have been mainstay on Farm Boy shelves.
“Cornwall is proud to be the birthplace of Farm Boy,” said Mayor Leslie O’Shaughnessy, City of Cornwall. “We are happy to see the company, which has built its reputation on quality and service, continue to have success as it expands to other Ontario communities!”
As a thank you for their support for the past 35 years, Cornwall customers are invited to take part in the store’s 35th Anniversary Celebration on Saturday, January 28th, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The event will feature exclusive Cornwall Anniversary specials, tasty samples from local suppliers, face-painting and a chance for children to meet the Farm Boy mascots, Lulu the Cow and Farm Hand. Customers will also have the opportunity to enter into a draw to win a $100 Farm Boy gift card.
Farm Boy’s flagship Cornwall store is located at 814 Sydney Street, Cornwall, Ontario.
- First Farm Boy opened on December 2nd, 1981 – small 300 square foot produce store on Cumberland Street in Cornwall
- Moved to the present Cornwall location at 814 Sydney in 1984
- First Farm Boy store in Ottawa opened in Orleans in 1992
- Expansion in Ottawa continues with total of eight stores as of 2007
- 2009: Jeff York joins as Farm Boy CEO to help grow the business
- 2011: Farm Boy named one of Canada’s 50 Best Managed Companies
- 2011: Two new stores in Ottawa open – Britannia and Stittsville
- 2012: First store outside region in Kingston and another in Orleans
- 2014: First store in Southwestern Ontario opens in London
- 2015: Four stores open – two in London, one in GTA (Whitby) and one in Kitchener
- 2016: Four new stores open including first Urban store in Ottawa’s Westboro area, plus one each in Brantford, Cambridge, and Pickering
- 2017: Total store count is now 23 with more planned for GTA
- 3,119 employees across Ontario
- 613 signature Farm Boy products
- 134 Ontario suppliers
About Farm Boy 2012 Inc.
Selected as one of Canada’s 50 Best Managed Companies, Eastern Ontario based Farm Boy provides a unique and friendly, fresh-market shopping experience.
Featuring their signature farm-fresh produce, organic, natural and locally sourced foods, their stores carry a full selection of premium meats, artisan cheese, sustainable seafood and private label brands; plus their popular fresh prepared meals, made from scratch in the Farm Boy Kitchen.
With legions of loyal customers, Farm Boy has grown from a small produce stand starting in Cornwall in 1981 to 23 stores located in Brantford, Cambridge, Cornwall, Kingston, Kitchener, London, Ottawa, Pickering and Whitby. The company plans to continue its fresh market expansion across Ontario with more stores planned for 2017.
For more information contact:
Director of Marketing
1427 Ogilvie Rd, Ottawa, ON, K1J 8M7