Written by our summer chef partner, Andrea Buckett @andreabuckettcooks
Convenient, grab-and-go snacks are key to staying satiated during the summer season of on-the-go living. From road trips and beach walks, to backyard hangs with friends and other summer activities, there’s always something better to do than worry about getting hangry. What kind of snacker are you? Do you like to plan ahead or are you a last-minute muncher? Regardless of how you stay fuelled during the busy summer months, we’ve got something to keep hunger at bay. That way you can get on with the business of savouring every drop of summer.
Keep a Snack Stash for Impromptu Hunger
Sometimes plans are spontaneous and having a stash of non-perishable snacks in the car can be a lifesaver. Of course, you wouldn’t want to leave these foods in the car forever, but they would absolutely last a couple weeks – if you don’t get hungry on your daily commute. But then again, if you did, you’d be prepared!
- Farm Boy™ Snack Blends, Mediterranean Vegetable Chips, or Dry Roasted Deluxe Mixed Nuts
- Farm Boy™ Maple Roasted Almonds
- Farm Boy™ Chocolate Coconut Real Food Bar
- Farm Boy™ Louisiana Style Cajun-Mix
- Farm Boy™ Dill Flavoured Nut Crisps
The “Last Stop” Before Hitting the Road
Let me know if this sounds familiar. You’re packing for a week away – it’s the hottest day of the year, the bags are packed, the cooler is full, and your patience is running out. Everyone piles into the car and the first thing you hear is “I’m hungry”. The truth is, so are you, but all the food is packed under the beach toys and there’s no way you’re digging it out now. My solution is to stop at the nearest Farm Boy and pick up some pre-made sandwiches and salads to satisfy everyone’s hunger.
- Farm Boy™ Smash Burgers, Meatball Hoagies or Caprese Hoagies
- Farm Boy™ Thai Sweet Potato Salad or Quinoa Bean Salad
- Farm Boy™ Monster Cookies
- Local cheese curds and Farm Boy™ Chorizo Bites
You can also check out Farm Boy’s Ultimate List of Road Trip Snacks.
Snack Duty Made Easy
If you’re on the go with your kids’ sports team or just at the park with a group of friends, bringing snacks to keep the hunger at bay is a must. Kids love snacks and they snack often, so be prepared with a selection of these.
- Fresh seasonal fruit for the win – peaches, plums, blueberries and nectarines.
- Farm Boy™ School Friendly Snacks – Oatmeal Cocoa Cookies, Oatmeal Spiced Carrot Cookies, Blueberry Superfood Bars, Apple Cinnamon Superfood Bars.
- Farm Boy™ Everything Bagel Mini Croissants from their Bake Shop.
Embrace Being the Make-Ahead Maven
Once in a while I will surprise myself and actually do some meal prep to help me fill the hunger gaps easily. Making a batch of cookies, sandwiches, or salads that keep well for a couple days in the fridge or freeze well is a great plan for filling tummies with homemade goodness when you’re out enjoying some summer fun!
- Chocolate Tahini Cookies are great to make ahead and freeze well for up to 1month in a resealable bag.
- Tex-Mex Egg Boat – think quiche, but swap out the pastry for an easier sourdough bread crust. Make ahead and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Visit our Savour the Summer page for more inspiration!