September is quickly approaching! And for many of us, that means getting back into some kind of routine. Maybe that looks like returning to an office environment, getting kids ready for school, or simply creating (or reintroducing) habits that make your day more productive.
We love a fun-filled summer, but let’s keep it real. Sometimes the transition from last-minute plans, quick road trips, and sleep-ins, to early commutes, drop-offs, and daily meal prepping can be…tough!
To make getting back into the swing of things a little less hectic for you, we’ve rounded up some easy breakfast ideas that are perfect for busy morning schedules.
Overnight Oats Your Way
Overnight oats are absolutely delicious and you can customize them using all of your favourite ingredients! Prep them the night before and store them in the fridge for the following morning.
- Scoop about half a cup of Farm Boy™ Organic Large Flake Oats into a mason jar or reusable glass container. Add about a tablespoon of chia seeds to your oats plus any additional spices you enjoy (a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg is nice). You can also add nutrient-rich extras like flaxseed, chia seed, pumpkin seeds, etc.
- Quickly mix these dry ingredients and add about half a cup of your milk of choice (dairy or non-dairy both work well!), plus a little honey or maple syrup mixed in to sweeten to your liking.
- Cover your oats with a lid and keep them in the fridge to soak overnight.
- When you’re ready to eat in the morning, just grab your container from the fridge, add in some more milk until it reaches your desired consistency, and top it with some fresh fruit and your favourite nut butter.
If you’re not a fan of the night-before prep, then give our Instant Oatmeal a try! It’s made with Ontario-grown oats, red bran, and a dash of raw sugar and comes in convenient pre-portioned packs. If you love oatmeal, but don’t have much time to sit and enjoy breakfast, our Cups of Oatmeal are a great option for you. You just add your boiling water and/or steamed milk into the container and mix, so you can quickly prep and enjoy it almost anywhere!
A Yogurt Parfait
Just like overnight oats, yogurt parfaits can also come in so many combinations. You can prep a parfait the night before or the morning you plan on enjoying it– whichever option suits your schedule!
In a glass container, layer Farm Boy™ Organic Greek Yogurt or Organic Probiotic Yogurt, fresh fruit (fresh Ontario plums, peaches, nectarines from Niagara are in season now!), your favourite Farm Boy Cereal, and Pure Liquid Honey. Try our Chef Recipe for Fruity Maple Yogurt and Cereal Parfaits.
Frittata or Egg Muffins
If we had unlimited time in the morning, it’d be a treat to make this Cheesy Spinach and Sundried Tomato Frittata. Luckily, you can enjoy all the deliciousness of this frittata in a convenient grab-and-go format by adjusting the recipe to make egg muffins! Prep your frittata mixture and set the oven to 350. Lightly oil a muffin tin and fill each slot just over halfway with your mixture. Bake for 15-20 minutes, then let them rest until cool before scooping them out of the muffin tins. Make them in advance and refrigerate or freeze. Then come morning, all you have to do is cover them with a damp paper towel, microwave them for about 20 seconds, and enjoy!
Our Egg Rounds are a similar concept to egg muffins, but only require one step for prep – just heat them! If you’re a busy bee in the morning and are crunched for time, give this savoury breakfast option a try.
Easy Breakfast Smoothie
Smoothies are the ultimate easy breakfast idea! Not only are they quick to make, but they’re a great way to get your daily intake of greens, protein, and other nutrients.
Just blend your favourite Farm Boy™ Frozen Fruit blends with your milk or juice of choice, honey to sweeten, and add in some Farm Boy™ Vanilla or Chocolate Nutritional Shake for an extra 20g of plant-based protein that will keep you tied over until lunch!
Here are a few smoothie flavour combos to try:
- Peanut Butter Chocolate: Farm Boy™ All-Natural Peanut Butter (or Almond Butter), banana, Greek yogurt, chocolate protein
- Strawberry Banana Peach: mix in some fresh ripe peaches with your banana and frozen strawberries & half a small avocado for creaminess
- Tropic Greens: Pineapple, mango, spinach, banana, matcha tea, coconut water or milk
- Mango Berry: Frozen mango & frozen berry blends, vanilla protein
How often do you spot a container in the back of the fridge, open it, sniff, and toss?
No more! Start minimizing food waste and give your leftovers new life in a quick egg scramble. Roughly chop leftover veggies, like roasted peppers, onions, and broccoli, and meat, like barbecued sausages, and throw them in a pan with some olive oil and a few beaten eggs.
Fold in salt, pepper, chili flake, feta cheese – or whatever your preferred cheese is – and mix up until cooked. Scoop your scramble over a slice of toasted and buttered sourdough bread and you’re done! And the best part – it’s just as easy to make this for one as it is to make for a family of four or five. Just add more leftovers and eggs based on how many people you’re cooking for.
Farm Boy Grab-and-Go Breakfast Options
One of our favourite easy breakfast ideas, but we’re biased! If you happen to pass a Farm Boy coming from the gym, on the way to work, or after dropping the kids off at school – we have a variety of hot breakfast options that are made fresh daily by our team!
Take your pick from savoury options like our Western Wrap, Bacon & Egg or Sausage & Egg Breakfast Sandwich, and more! We even have a vegan option – a Vegan Egg & Cheese Wrap made with our Swiss Style Cheese Alternative. You can find them all in our Chef department!
What’s your go-to breakfast for busy mornings? Share it with us on social!