Shopping List: What to Pack in Your Summer Picnic
Picnics are a wonderful way to relax and take in the outdoors while enjoying some time to yourself or with family and friends. And with activities limited right now, why not treat yourself to a dazzling spread full of your favourite goodies and make the most of a beautiful day? Set up lakeside, in your favourite public park, or even in your own backyard and savour the summer with a wow-worthy picnic!
Here are some items that we’d add to our picnic basket:
Picnic Charcuterie Anyone?
To kick your picnic up a notch, try a charcuterie board as your picnic centrepiece!
- Farm Boy™ Double Cream Brie
- Farm Boy™ Goat Cheese
- Farm Boy™ Small Batch Cheddar
- Farm Boy™ Italian Deli Meats
- Farm Boy™ Double Baked Pita Chips
- Farm Boy™ Artisan Crackers
- Farm Boy™ Garlic Stuffed Green Olives
Pro Tip: Prep the bulk of your charcuterie board in advance and carefully wrap and pack it in a cooler or insulted cooler bag with some ice packs so you can spend more time relaxing during your picnic and less time setting up!
Add a Salad or Two
A salad full of fresh veggies topped with a light dressing can be so refreshing! And remember salad doesn’t have to be lettuce based – watermelon salad, Caprese salad, pasta salad, and sweet potato salad are all delicious picnic options. Try one of the salad recipes below or pick up one of our conveniently prepped options.
- Recipe: Grilled Asparagus Caprese Salad
- Recipe: Citrus Salad with Tangy Kefir Vinaigrette
- Recipe: Fattoush Salad
- Farm Boy™ Fresh Salads – Caesar, Harvest Grain, Greek, Keto & many more!
- Farm Boy™ Summer Pasta Salads – made with orzo pasta & fresh ingredients.
Pro Tip: Make sure to pack recyclable, compostable, or reusable plates and cutlery – including a few spoons for serving things like salads and for scooping dips.
You Can Never Have Too Much Dip
Pair one or several of these with fresh-cut veggies, pita, or crispy Farm Boy™ Fattoush Chips.
- Farm Boy™ Homestyle Hummus
- Farm Boy™ Organic Beet Hummus
- Farm Boy™ Everything Bagel Dip
- Farm Boy™ Spicy Eda-Yummy Dip
Pro Tip: Handheld snacking definitely calls for napkins! Remember to pack some for any messy fingers, as well as a separate bag to collect your garbage while you eat.
Squeeze In Something Sweet
A picnic isn’t complete without some kind of treat; try a fruit-filled pie or some classic butter tarts. If you’re looking for something light, opt for some fresh fruit.
- Farm Boy™ 9″ Homestyle Pies
- Farm Boy™ Cruffies
- Farm Boy™ Butter Tarts
- Fresh-cut fruit
Pro Tip: There’s a chance your delicious food may attract some bugs. Keep your food covered as best you can when you’re not eating and pack some bug spray so that pests like mosquitoes don’t bother you.
Don’t Forget to Keep Hydrated
Pack some single-serve beverages to quench your thirst and wash down all your mouthwatering picnic food.
- Farm Boy™ Organic Kombucha
- Farm Boy™ Sparkling Beverage
- Farm Boy™ Sparkling Water
- Farm Boy™ Lemonade or Strawberry Lemonade
Pro Tip: Keeping hydrated outside on a hot day is important and so is protecting yourself from the sun! You may want to pack some sunscreen or a hat.
Bring a Little Entertainment
Consider bringing one or several of the following with you for a little extra picnic fun:
- Portable speaker for some light music
- Headphones & a podcast queued up
- A new book
- A deck of cards
- Yard games like Bocce Ball or Cornhole