Rich, comforting and healthy, this Red Lentil Ragú is sure to satisfy even the most enthusiastic meat lovers! Made in the same way as a traditional Bolognese sauce, this recipe uses lentils for a delicious plant-based version. Serve over your favourite pasta, spiralized vegetables or polenta for a cozy, hearty and delightful meal.
- In small bowl, soak lentils for 30 minutes, then drain.
- In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat and sauté onion, celery and carrots until softened and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add tomato paste and cook 2-3 minutes, then add wine, if using, and cook until it evaporates, 3-4 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and scrape bottom of the pan to loosen any brown bits, then add lentils and simmer partially covered, for about 15 minutes, stirring every so often.
- Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning, hemp hearts and salt and pepper and simmer, partially covered, for 15-20 minutes, stirring often until sauce has thickened.
- Add plant-based milk and balsamic vinegar and adjust seasoning. Simmer 5 minutes longer.
- Serve over your favourite pasta, spiralized vegetables or polenta.
- 2 tbsp Farm Boy™ Extra Virgin Olive Oil (1 L)
- 1 medium red or white onion diced
- 2 (1 cup) celery stalks diced
- 2 small (1 cup) carrots diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Tbsp Farm Boy™ Organic Tomato Paste (147 ml)
- 1/2 cup red wine optional
- 3 cups Farm Boy™ Organic LS Vegetable Broth (900 ml)
- 1 cup Farm Boy™ Split Red Lentils
- 1 can Farm Boy™ Italian Tomatoes chopped
- 1-2 tsp Farm Boy™ Organic Italian Seasoning (23 g)
- 1/3 cup Farm Boy™ Hemp Hearts (454 g)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup plant-based milk
- 1 Tbsp Farm Boy™ Balsamic Vinegar
- Pasta spiralized vegetables or polenta