As the temperature drops, we like to make cozy, comforting meals that take a bit longer to cook. This slow braised beef with mushrooms is very easy to make and it tastes amazing.
If you prefer, it can be done in the oven, after beef is browned and mushrooms sautéed, set oven to 300°F and make sure you use an oven proof container that has a lid or cover with foil. Another way to cook this would be in the slow cooker, cook on Low for 6-8 hours. You can serve this with pasta and sour cream, mashed potatoes or a creamy polenta and a salad on the side.
- Place beef in a large bowl and toss with flour, 1 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp black pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 Tbsp oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches so you don’t crowd the pan, add beef and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 5 to 6 minutes. Be patient with this step, as it will build a lot of flavour into the dish. Transfer beef to a plate; repeat adding more oil as needed until all beef is browned.
- If you need more oil, add a bit more, then add mushrooms and cook until browned and all liquid has evaporated. Remove from pan and reserve.
- Add onion to pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 5 to 7 minutes. If you want to speed up this step, cover the pan with a lid for a couple of minutes to steam the onions a bit, then uncover and cook until completely soft. Add garlic and tomato paste and cook one more minute.
- Return beef and mushrooms to pot and add 900ml broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until beef is tender enough to shred with a fork, 2 to 3 hours. We like our beef with lots of sauce but if you like it thicker, to reduce the liquid, uncover the pot for the last half hour of cooking, until you reach the consistency you like. Tear beef into bite-sized pieces.
- Portion beef and pasta into bowls. Serve topped with a dollop of sour cream and garnish with parsley.
- 3-4 tsp oil divided
- 1 kg stewing beef cubes. or beef pot roast cut into 2" pieces
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp salt divided, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 5 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 large spanish onions sliced
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 Tbsp Farm Boy™ Organic Tomato Paste (147 ml)
- 900 ml Farm Boy™ Organic Low Sodium Beef Broth (900 ml)
- Farm Boy™ Riccioli Artisan Pasta (500 g) cooked
- Farm Boy™ 14% Sour Cream (500 mL) for garnish
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped